Thursday, September 2, 2010

Reruns

Today begins my vacation. So far I got to sleep in, not rush in the shower, and enjoy my breakfast. Normally I get up at the last possible minute (after I hit the snooze button twenty times), hurry up to get ready for work and walk right out the door. My wife will make me a breakfast that I eat when I get to the office. So this morning has been nice and relaxing. My cat seems to be happy that I am home, he is sleeping next to me as I flip through the channels to begin my state of vegetation today.
As I do my channel surfing, I discovered that I am not missing anything on day time TV. You have a choice of Morning talk shows with corny jokes, workout programs (not going to happen), and infomercials. Who really needs a towel that will suck all the water out of a swimming pool or a food cooker that looks like R2-D2 is sitting on your kitchen counter. Well that last one does sound pretty cool. But my point is there is nothing on TV in the mornings. Then I came across TV Land, it was like finding the holy grail of old TV shows. The A-team, Golden Girls, and (Oh YES) Save by the Bell.
We were not completely innocent, but we at least had some decency, We had violence and high school romances. But on today's TV for teen, they seem to have trouble keeping their clothes on. Even though the A-team shot thousands of rounds of bullets, there was no blood and no one died. Now there is a cult following of teenage undead and streams of blood. Being attracted to the same sex was either not heard of or made fun of on TV. Now it seems 80% of the population is gay. I wonder whatever happened to Kelly and Zach?
So I could be wrong, but it seems that in the days of good clean TV, things were better. A dollar could get you more than a item on a $0.99 menu. When you graduated from college there were jobs available that didn't require you to say "Would you like fries with that?" Families were able to afford a home and keep it. Maybe it's not just our TV viewing that has changed things. Now there is no prayer in schools, debates if the 10 commandments should be posted in goverment offices, and people going to courts to take God out of our pledge to the flag and off our money. Instead of trying to recreate the TV and movies of the past for this generation to enjoy, we may just need to give them back our Creator.
Deuteronomy 7:9-11 "Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keeps his commandments, to a thousand generations, and repays to their face those who hate him, by destroying them. He will not be slack with one who hates him. He will repay him to his face. You shall therefore be carful to do the commandment and the statues and the rules that I command you today."

No comments:

Post a Comment