Tuesday, September 7, 2010

End of Summer

Just finished a nice vacation, it was relaxing and fun. Which is why I missed Monday’s usual posting. We spent Monday at the pool for one final fun in the sun. It kind of marks the last day of summer and we will be closing the pool this coming weekend. Now begins fall, which means Christmas is just around the corner. I know this because walking through the stores; they have on display the Halloween pumpkins, skeletons, and candy right next to Santa and his eight reindeers. It looks like some sort of weird Wrestle Mania event. Who would win the smack down between Frosty the Snowman and Frankenstein? It’s not even Halloween yet and you can’t walk into a store without feeling like someone is going to shove a candy cane down your throat.

When I was a kid, this was the time of year when I was deciding which teacher I liked, who I was gong to sit next to in the lunch room, and finding out which bathroom stalls at school had working locks on them. Even though I don’t think I sat on a school toilet once from kindergarten to 12th grade, afraid of who had just sat there before me or who might kick the door in while I was using it. I feared the swirly. The fall was also the time to think about who I wanted to dress up as for Halloween. Not that it matter what your costume looked liked. When you grow up in northern Ohio, chances were that it was going to be cold outside and your Superman or Zorro costume was going to be covered up by winter snow gear anyways, only exposing the silly shoes or makeup you were wearing.

But now as an adult, the fall brings thoughts of getting the house and car ready for the winter and wondering if you can get out of dragging all the winter stuff out of the attic. At least football season is about to start. Also my personal favorite, sweat pants weather, there is nothing better than sitting around in some comfortable sweat pants. I mostly enjoy wearing them because of the elastic waist band that stretches as I put on weight preparing for my winter hibernation on the couch. Of course, you have to start making your Christmas list. Not for you to send to Santa, but the list of gifts that you need to buy for your family and friends. Even though if you’re a guy you’re going to wait till the last minute anyways and buy the cheapest thing that is left on the shelf.

Goodbye Summer, it was a fun one.

No comments:

Post a Comment