Thursday, September 16, 2010

TV viewing

With fall quickly approaching the new TV season begins. Guys are given a very unique talent; they can watch at least 5 TV shows at the same time. It takes timing to know when to switch between shows during commercials, balance to hold the remote at just the right angle so your arm does not get tired, and endurance to sit for hours and not have to use the bathroom. Most women don’t have this skill. They scan through each channel, pausing at each one to see what the show is about and determine if it is wroth watching. Then they leave it on that channel, because some commercial comes on that they end up crying over.

When I was single there was no problem figuring out what I was going to watch. I was master of the remote and could watch it all. The problem comes when you get married and you have to determine what satisfies both parties. We fortunately like most of the same things; some comedies and dramas. She’s a football fan so that does make Sundays easy to decide. But she likes History and older movies. Back in the day if I came a crossed a show that mentioned a date or a past president, it didn’t take me long to switch the channel. Now we have to pause to see what subject they are talking about, something that I probably had trouble staying awake for in high school. Meanwhile I could be missing Jack Bauer beat somebody into confessing a secret or seeing some old has been actress trying to revive their career by dancing in a dress that they have no business wearing. Come on, that is important stuff!

So we try to compromise and find something we both enjoy. We do have a TV in almost every room of the house. But, what is the point of being married if you are just going to spend all evening watching TV in separate rooms. We do like most of the same TV shows. The advantage I have is that my wife is not a late night person and typically will fall asleep during any movie. So the other night “Gone with the Wind” was on. It’s one of her favorite movies, but not one of mine. I knew she was not going to be awake very long. So I was the good husband and let her keep it on that channel, knowing about 15 minutes later she would be sound asleep. Then the remote and TV would be all mine. Hello old friends, I got over 100 channels let the surfing begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment