Thursday, January 27, 2011

Old stuff

My wife and I were watching one of our new favorite shows the other night “Storage Wars.” These guys go to places where people rent storage, or should I stay stop paying rent on their storage units. They get about 5 minutes to look inside the unit without going in, they are not allowed to open any boxes, and then whoever gets the highest bid gets everything inside the storage unit. Sometimes it is all useless junk and other times there is some crazy collectibles inside. Last night a couple bought a unit that had over $5,000 wroth of old toys inside for like $600. Which brings two questions to mind; why would anybody forget or not pay the rent on a storage unit that had that many collectibles in it and what stuff do I have lying around that is of any value?

One logical reason is that maybe the person passed away and no one knew they had this stuff. Or, maybe they did not really know how valuable this stuff was. Who really does know how much something is until they sell it. There was another guy you bought a storage unit and it had shrunken heads in it. Which leads me to other questions; who buys shrunken heads and why are they keeping them in storage in an old cooler?

I have one thing that I know that might have some value. Actually I share this with my brother, a Wayne Gretzky rookie card in very good condition. How I ended up with it don’t know. How much is it wroth? Maybe a few hundred dollars, but it’s not like I can go to Wal-Mart and take a TV to the register and hand them this rookie card for it. As of right now, it is sitting in my closet and it is about as valuable as the cardboard from a cereal box. That’s the thing about collectables; they are not of any value until you sell them. I remember as a kid when Star Wars was huge, I had a bunch of toys and comic books. I don’t understand how people are looking for toys still in the box. They are toys; no kid wants a toy to just stare at in the box. Not only did I destroy the box, the action figures did not make it as well. It was an epic battle between G.I. Joe and the Star Wars clan, very few survived. Those memories are more valuable to me than the toy itself, plus I’m not paying a rental fee to hang on to them.

On another note, I will only be posting on Thursdays now. Life is just getting a little too busy to try to post something twice a week and it doesn’t pay the bills. Unless someone wants to buy a Wayne Gretzky rookie card to keep things going. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment