Thursday, January 13, 2011

Snow Roads

I have discussed before the many differences between the north and the south. The north says “You guys” compared to “Ya’ll” in the south. Around the Great Lakes they drink pop or soda; below the Mississippi River they drink sweet tea. The one thing I thought would be different here in the south would be the weather. I hate having to get up a little earlier to walk out to warm my car before I go to work, hoping my first step doesn’t send me flying across my iced over walk way like Wayne Gretzeky after a hockey puck. Plus it’s been really cold, I mean the type of cold that freezes the stuff inside your nose when you inhale, I hate that feeling.

The D.O.T. here (Don’t-Own-Trucks) were not prepared. The guy that heads the department said on the news that we should all just hope the sun comes out soon. That’s a reassuring statement from the guy who is supposed to be keeping the roads clean. Basically we should all go outside and sing like Anne “The sun will come out tomorrow…” We’ve all heard it before, these southerns can’t drive on snow, and well this Yankee couldn’t either. When you have ice on top of ice, with no one putting salt or clearing off the roads, you need to be a penguin driving a zamboni to get around Atlanta. So they just keep telling people to stay inside.
Schools have been out for three days now due to the weather. Some schools were on Christmas break so some of these kids love this weather. Plus for some of them it’s the first time seeing snow like this. So people are grabbing whatever they think will slide to go sledding; trash can lids and laundry basics seems to be the favorites. The best I’ve seen is some guy on the news going down a hill in a canoe. So the other day when I was snowed in I looked out my window and saw a guy in a pickup truck pulling his kid on a piece of wood behind him. I figured he must have worked for the D.O.T. and it was bring your kid to work day. I am starting to hear people saying they are getting cabin fever, three days of snow and these people are already going out of their minds. Another difference between the north and the south, Good luck to all my buckeye friends and family who might get snowed in for a week or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment