Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Day

Well I'm off today because of snow. That's right I moved from Ohio to Georgia to get away from that awful white stuff and I still get snowed in. It's God way of showing me he has a sense of humor. I did try to make it to work. I left thinking I grew up in this stuff, it's not going to get the best of me. So I get all bundled up, cussed a few times because I had to scrape snow and ice off my car. That brought back horrible memories of northern mornings; 3 to 4 months of getting out in the cold, scrapping 1/4” of ice off your car, and praying to the winter gods that your car would start, then you would have to maneuver your way down the frozen tundra called the driveway. Thankfully this morning was not that bad, but I still hated doing it. So I started to drive to work, I had to keep it in 2nd gear most of the time, fish tailing most of the way. I'll admit that part was fun, because at one point in my life I did want to be a Duke boy and drive around Hazard county, I can cross that off my bucket list now. But I didn't even make it half way to work. What normally takes me 10 minutes to get to, took me an half an hour. Plus, all the ice and snow covered the lanes in the road, I spun out about 3 times. I turned around and journeyed my way back home. Some idiot decided they were going to take a turn going 50 mph and almost spun themselves completely around. Had I been there a few minutes earlier I would have collided with them. So it wasn't the icy conditions that bothered me, it was the other Duke's of Hazard wanna bees out there.

So I came home to my wonderful wife who just the other day decided to point out how old I am getting. Seems she had discover that much like counting the rings on a tree, you can guess how old someone is by looking in their nightstand drawer. That makes sense; a young boy may have his favorite baseball card and action figure, a teenager may have that magazine he doesn’t want his mom to see, a college man will keep the phone numbers of all his hopeful dates. I on the other hand have; a heating pad for my sore leg where I pulled a muscle the other day, my blood pressure machine that I have to keep track of, and a pair of toe nail clippers so I don't accidentally cut a main blood vain on my wife while we are sleeping at night. Yep, I'm probably just a few steps away of keeping in my night stand a tube of Ben-gay and denture cleaner. I do not even dare, for risk of my physical and mental health, look in my wife's nightstand and see what she has hidden in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment