Monday, August 16, 2010

Stop goofing off and get back to work.

Computers have simplified, or were supposed to simplify the work office. I’ve been in the career of drafting for over 18 years. There was a time that I had to use a pencil, T-square and triangles to draw with. Now it’s all done on computers. Yes, it has made my life easier, but I’ll admit that I don’t know how much more productive I am. Because I can’t remember how I goofed off at work before computers. First of all, you know you try and position your monitor on your desk so no one can see what is on it but you, or that you have plenty of time to shrink the window before anyone can see it. Solitaire and Mine Sweep became a nice distraction when needing a few minutes for a break from my work. But, now with the social networks of Facebook and Twitter, you kind of wonder if any work is getting done at all anywhere. I mean if I could invest in cyber farms or just earn my money from the internet mafias I’d be a rich man. I know, not only did you move the monitor so no one can see it, but you think as long as you have your hand on the mouse and type something every once in a while it looks like you are working. There was a time that everyone gathered at the coffee pot or water cooler and talked about the latest TV show or office gossip. Now they just tweet each other all day or send text messages. So then why should I even need to go to an office at all? I can just post my work status on Facebook, update my boss on twitter, and communicate with my coworkers via e-mail or text. All along making sure my pig and crops are being taken care of, while not worrying if I'll be caught by my boss. Plus I can work in my sweat pants, favorite T-shirt and never have to shave. But, I would miss the monthly office birthday cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment