Monday, August 9, 2010

Back to school

The kids have gone back to school. I know this because traffic in the morning is a lot worse. Between the new teenage drivers thinking they are too cool to be on the same road as you and the moms who are driving like they are in a combat zone trying to dump there kids off at school on time and make it to work, it’s dangerous out there. My favorite part of going back to school was the shopping for the supplies. To this day I still like walking around an office supply store to check out the pens, pencils, folders, and paper. To me it was kind of like walking down the toy aisle. My least favorite part was the back to school clothes shopping. Not that it happened that often for me. I was the youngest of three, so that meant I got the hand me downs. I realize my parents were trying to save money, but my brother was four years older than me so by the time I was wearing his clothes they were out of style. Plus I’m still talking to my therapist because I had an older sister too. Just kidding my parents never went that far with the hand me downs (that I knew of.)

Going to school in the north is a little bit different than down here in the south. It is always funny to me when there is a threat of snow in the south and they start to shut down schools the night before and run out and buy up all the milk and bread. (I still don’t understand that last part.) But up north, I remember it snowing the night before; you get up in the morning, turn on the radio, and hoped they called out your schools name. The roads had to be covered in snow; I just don’t mean the light frosting they get in the south. I’m talking about get out the snow shovel to clear off the drive way and put the chains on the tires snow fall. If there was a chance the bus could get through, you were going to school.

I’ve been thinking about the kids today and what they are learning in school. I wont start on the whole politics and prayer debate, other than kids don’t stand a chance if we don’t pray for them. But with the age of text messaging how are these kids going to write their book reports and other papers? I don’t text often, mostly because I don’t understand them. For instance “Tomorrow” in the texting world is spelled “2mor” and you can combine three words like “let me know” into “lemeno.” I can just imagine some kid writing their paper freaking out because Microsoft Word is going nuts finding all these misspelled words it does not identify.

So here’s my back to school tip for parents. Buy your kids a Webster Dictionary and a belt for your boys. I’m really tired of their pants hanging half way down and seeing their underwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment