Thursday, August 12, 2010

Change in Plans

Last night the wife and I decided to move the living room furniture around. Why? One, we thought it would give us more room. Two, what else is there to do on a Wednesday evening. At one point I didn’t know where the leg of the couch was and put it down on my bare feet, Ouch! It was a nice change, and it did make the room feel bigger. The interesting part was watching the cat. He didn’t know what to think about this change in his space. He went around sniffing everything and rubbing against it, you know doing the things cats do. After a while he got used to it, fell down and started to clean himself. I guess we had his approval.

Things happen in life that we never expect to happen. We go along thinking we have everything figured out, then WHAM! Something or someone decides to mess up your plans. This is not always a bad thing, depending on how you live your life. I never understood how some people have to live their life according to what others have or are doing. I guess it is that need to fit in, or seem cool. But styles and trends change all the time. Kids are about to learn this when the 1,000 Silly Bands they have cutting the circulation off on their arm will soon be out of style. Some changes are a little harder to except. Life can really mess up our plans. Things like divorce, alcohol, drugs and other addictions. Oh sure, Hollywood has really made some of these things look like normal society behavior, but how many people have said when I grow up I want to get a divorce or be addicted to drugs. But they happen all the time, to some of the best and nicest people around. Maybe not because they have done something wrong or even made bad choices. Life just decided to mess up their plans.

So maybe we should treat our lives like a living room. I got and placed my furniture in my house before I got married. I thought I put everything in the right place. Then we moved things around just to see what it looked liked. My wife discovered she had a launching pad from the hallway to the living room and decided to take a run and see how far she could slide down the hall. We also discovered we had more room to jump around and play our video games. Basically it wasn’t the furniture that made the living room better. It was who was in it. I don’t just mean my wife, but I saw how God can change our plans for the better if we fill that empty space with him. We will make a bad decision every now and then and life may get in the way. But, God always has a plan that is better for us.

Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord,
thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.”

No comments:

Post a Comment