Thursday, August 26, 2010

Driving

If I made enough money I would hire a personal chofer driver, to take me everywhere. I don’t mind driving; I just don’t like the other people driving around me. Car manufactures are making it worse by adding more conveniences to cars. STOP MAKING GADJETS THAT DISTRACT PEOPLE! I appreciate the automatic windows, because it was annoying to crank a window up while it was raining, or when you went to a drive thru in 20 below weather and you couldn’t get the window up fast enough because it was so cold. The automatic locks are kind of cool, but is it really that hard to push or pull a little knob to lock or unlock the door. It is fun being a few yards away and being able to unlock a car; guys love anything that is remote control.

I can remember a time when I was excited because my radio had a digital display with programmable buttons. I could only dream of owning a tape player to go into the car. Now you can get anything to go into a car. Any type of music device, they even include a slot so you can plug in your computer or MP3 player and listen to all the music you own. You can have TVs and DVD players, so parents don’t have to talk to their kids ever. They just pick the kid up from in front of their TV (that is probably in the kid’s bedroom) and place them in front of the TV in the car. Because that would be horrible to spend that 15 to 20 minute drive to school or back home talking to their children asking them about their day or making sure they are learning anything. That was sarcasm if you didn’t notice.

No need to worry about getting lost anymore, now we have GPS. I’ll admit I love my GPS. It’s the one device that makes my life a little easier when I don’t know how to get to my destination. Map Quest was ok, but it was a little annoying trying to memorize the directions, or look at it quickly enough while driving. I normally tried to balance the papers on my steering wheel. Plus, Map Quest just got you in the vicinity; it rarely got you to the exact destination. I don’t know what we did before that, other than hope someone gave you good directions or hope the old dog that you were told look for didn’t move from the corner you were suppose to turn at. Does anyone even own an actual map anymore?

All these new devices, plus cell phones, in cars do the same thing; they make people take their eyes off the road. You add that to the women who don’t take the extra fifteen minutes (probably more) at home to put on their makeup and you end up with the 1 hour long traffic backup on your way to work. A few things will never change with cars. First, you will eventually get behind a 100 year old person who can’t see over the steering wheel and is going 20 MPH below the actual speed limit, making you risk your life to pass them. Second, maybe because car manufacturers were so busy adding all these extra toys in cars they forgot to add the basic necessity. Because, no matter how new the car is or how many fancy gadgets are in it, people still will not use their turn signal.

No comments:

Post a Comment