Thursday, October 28, 2010

Great Pumpkin


So this coming weekend is Halloween. We all know what that means. “The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown” will be on TV soon. It first aired in 1966, 44 years ago. My two favorite parts of the show is when Charlie Brown says, “All I got was a rock.” and Snoopy’s appearance as the World War I flying ace. It is amazing how after so many years that this is still a family favorite and still can hold its own against any of the new Holiday specials that have came out, did you see the Shrek Halloween special? Not even close.

A little fun fact about the Great Pumpkin, if you look close while the kids are trick or treating, you can see the rocks being thrown into Charlie Browns bag at each house. Charlie Brown's repeated line of "I got a rock" caused some stir among many viewers of the show, according to Charles Schulz in the book and retrospective TV special "Happy Birthday, Charlie Brown". Schulz said that after the program first aired, bags and boxes of candy came in from all over the world "just for Charlie Brown."

This is my favorite time of year, you have three great Holiday specials coming up; “The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown”, “A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving”, and of course “A Charlie Brown Christmas.” With the best line of them all “That’s what Christmas is all about Charlie Brown.” And I get to hear my favorite music “Linus and Lucy” by Vince Guaraldi, this was played at my wedding. So while everyone will be trick or treating or attending costume parties, you might find me in the middle of a pumpkin patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin to rise up and give out toys to all of the good boys and girls. What? If you can believe in that silly old man in the red suit going ho ho ho, I can believe in the great pumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment