Monday, October 4, 2010

Fame does not equal Happiness

John 12:43 “ for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of
God.”

So I have a routine every morning when I get to work. I arrive to my office very early so I can read my e-mails and the news before my work day begins. Normally its whatever is listed on the Yahoo homepage and their sports page. They will cover things in the political world like the Supreme Court starting their new term to something off the wall like the Best-tasting Tortilla chips. The other week someone wrote an article about the Flintstones being around for 50 years; I was all over that one of course. Here it is if you want to read it yourself http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/the-flintstones-fabulous-at-50--1601

But Yahoo also is big on the entertainment news. They will write stories on the biggest movie playing or the popular TV shows coming on this fall. Important stuff, because I need to plan ahead on what I’m going to waste my time watching at night, I wouldn’t want to be forced into reading a book or spending quality time with my wife. Yahoo also covers the so called big names in Hollywood and other celebrities. Because apparently my life is so dull I need to read about how so called famous people live their life better than me, I haven’t quite understood the fascination some people have with people who might be living a better life than them.

People think that fame and fortune equals happiness. You know people like Tiger Woods and Lindsay Lohan must be extremely happy. Here’s the problem, Tiger Woods, I understand and see how he is a celebrity. One of the best golfers ever at a very young age, and at one point seemed like a decent guy. Then wham, his world came crumbling down around him. Everyday it was coming out of another woman that he cheated on his wife with. His name no longer brought up thoughts of great golfer, but big adulterer. I got so tired of seeing his face every morning when I opened up my Yahoo page. Now I am sick of seeing Lindsay Lohan every morning. Who is this woman and what has she done? So she was in some movies, they were not even good movies. So why does the media think that people care that this person in going to jail AGAIN, for breaking parole and doing drugs? Last I checked that is what happens when you break the law. Here’s the thing, my life does not change or is affected by these “Celebrities” sleeping around and doing drugs. I DON’T CARE, and I don’t understand why some people do. All it really shows is that being famous does not equal happiness, and you can be famous for doing stupid things and everyone in the world gets to read about it. While I’m on the subject, my life has not changed one bit because somebody “Decided” to move to another state to play a game, Lebron James go away.

The point of this is that being famous or having a lot of money will not make life better. The media does not realize that is what they are reporting. People need to see that success in life is not reaching a celebrity status or imitating what they do. But success is doing what makes you happy and those around you happy. Also success is doing what is right even when no one is looking. So the next time life smacks you in the face and you think life would be better if you were a famous person. At least pick someone famous that has done some good for the world. Maybe we all just need to shout “YABBA DADDA DOO!!!”

Matthew 16: 24 -26 Then Jesus said to His disciples “If anyone desires to
come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For
whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My
sake will find it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world,
and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?”


No comments:

Post a Comment