Thursday, October 21, 2010

Garage sale.

This past weekend I had a mini vacation. I took Friday through Tuesday off from work. Not for any other reason, other than I had the vacation days to burn. If I don’t use them, I lose them. So from now till the end of the year, I do not work a full month. That’s the way it should be all the time, no one should have to work everyday. We all should have that time and catch up on the waste of time I call day time TV; reruns and game shows. I tried to use the time to get a few project done around the house. But instead, I ended up getting ready and doing a big garage sale my church put together.

This was a fun Saturday. I was at the church at 5:00 in the morning, ON A SATURDAY!! I did not know 5:00 am, existed on a Saturday. When I was young and single I was out until at least 2:00 in the morning and slept till noon, then got married and maybe stay up till 11:00 pm and try to sleep till noon. Even as a kid a slept in till I knew the first Saturday morning cartoon was coming on. It was cold that morning, and I was helping direct the traffic of people coming to unload their valuable sale items. The wife and I had our own treasures. I couldn’t tell you what they were. That’s the funny thing about stuff in the closet and attic. We were keeping it for a reason I’m sure. Maybe because we thought it was worth something. Because, some old plastic thing collecting dust in the back of the closet is going to help you retire early. So the night before the sale, my wife and I went through our things to see what we wanted to keep and get rid of. I had a hard time letting go of some stuff. In particular some Looney Toons kitchen items, I thought these things were priceless. Sold it all for $1.00 at the sale, I couldn’t give the stuff away. No one picked it up till they were the last few items on the table. Some people don’t have good taste. My wife had a hard time letting go of some of her Christmas decorations. How many snowmen wearing scarves and Santas holding candy canes does one person need? But some people just had to have it. It amazes me what people would pick up and buy. One guy bought a bag of miscellaneous screws, after talking to him; I think he had a few screws loose in the head. All in all we sold $120 of junk. We don’t miss any of it. My wife made the mistake of checking on the internet how much some of her decorations were worth, she found a few of them going for around $100.00. She sold them for $3.00. Yard sale tip: research your items before selling them. That crap sitting in the back of your closet collecting dust could be worth something.

The other negative to the day was that I got a horrible sun burn on my head. Even though it is not hot outside and it is close to fall; when the sun is out and you stand under it for 10 hours on a black top parking lot, you might get burned. For those that have a hair follicle challenge, you can get burned really badly. Two things happed when a bald guy gets burned; one you get the same question or comment over and over again, didn’t you wear a hat? Uh duh, apparently I did not. The second thing that happens is that over time the skin on the head gets dry, starts to crack and peal; and people begin to look at you like you have gotten some sort of virus. Not to mention the pain of the shower water hitting the burn as well, OUCH!

But it was a good long weekend. I did get a few projects done around the house. When I took a break and turned on the TV I found a show where actors go to kill their careers, “The Family Feud.” I was surprised to see Steve Harvey as the host, I thought that guy from “Seinfeld” was the host. My wife thought the guy from “Home improvement” was still doing it. I did remember Louie Anderson (former comedian) was the host for a while. No one could ever replace Richard Dawson. Well, they had to because he died. I don’t know which is worse, the fact that this show is still on or that I know all of the hosts in order. I saw a home version of the game at the garage sale; I was tempted to buy it. But it would have just ended up in the back of the closet collecting dust.

Richard Dawson
Ray Combs
Louie Anderson
Richard Karn
John O'Hurley
Steve Harvey

You didn’t believe I knew that did you.

No comments:

Post a Comment