Thursday, November 11, 2010

Two year Anniversary

So I missed Monday’s post because it was my two year anniversary being married to my wife. The first year was fun settling down and getting to know each others little habits and really planning our future together. The second year, though just as fun, went by really fast. I think that first year of being married you ignore the fact that life is going on around you, but the second year you end up trying to catch up with it.

The first year we were married, we had one major incident. That was when I was rushed to the hospital because my heart decided it wanted to try and jump out of my chest. As scary as that was, it was one of those moments you are thankful for that person God put in your life. If it was not for my wife being stubborn and taking me to the ER, I probably would not be here sharing my random meaningless thoughts with you now. But other than that we spent our first year traveling wherever we wanted to go and fixing our house up the way we wanted it, just being carefree newlyweds. You would do anything for each other to make sure the other person is happy. But the second year comes along and it’s as if God says ok no more fun, time for real life to hit you. So what happens in the second year is that you spend a Sunday morning trying to save everything on the bathroom floor from getting wet, because the last owners never had the septic tank pumped in the 13 years they owned the house and it decided to back up on you right before you go to church. Your marriage hits an all new level when you have a discussion looking down a septic tank drain asking your significant other,” Do you smell how bad that is?” That happened earlier in the year, the rest of the year was spent discovering new things about ourselves.

I never new I had a side of the bed. Until I was 35 I’ve slept alone spreading out and rolling to whatever side I wanted to sleep on. Sure early in my life I had a small twin bed that with one wrong move and I would end up having the dream that I was falling only to find out I was actually falling off the bed. But, in my adult years I had a queen bed all to myself, I would sleep dead center of it. When we got married we purchased a king size mattress, now I’m not saying that I haven’t slept in two years. But, I’ve always felt something was not quite right. So recently we decided to switch sides of the bed, you know mix things up a little to keep our relationship spontaneous. It was like discovering a new land, I was so comfortable. My wife said, “Why didn’t we try this sooner, I love it over here.” So we learned something very important after two years of marriage. I like to sleep on the left side of the bed and she likes the right side of the bed. I think because of this huge discovery our marriage will last a long time. Well that and we love each other and I can’t imagine my life without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment